Facebook’s New Policy Requires Treatment Centers to Obtain Certification Before Advertising
On August 9th, Facebook announced a new policy requiring addiction treatment centers to obtain certification from monitoring firm LegitScript. Centers will need to obtain certification in order to advertise their in-person addiction treatment services on Facebook in the United States.
Everything You Need to Know About the New Requirements
LegitScript will review each center based on 15 requirements, which include:
- Compliance – centers must comply with their state’s legal and regulatory licensing requirements.
- Privacy – the center must be compliant with all privacy provisions, including HIPAA.
- Insurance – centers must provide proof of insurance.
- Qualifications – centers must provide the resumes of their owners and other business leadership professionals, “establishing that the applicant’s staff have expertise and training in addiction treatment.”
- Medication-Assisted Treatment – any medications used by the center in Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) must be approved by the FDA for that purpose.
The policy applies to all of Facebook’s properties, including Instagram, Messenger, and Audience Network.
Facebook’s War on Addiction
Representing Facebook, Avra Siegel said, “Today’s announcement is the next step in our efforts to support our community on Facebook in response to rising addiction rates in the US.”
Siegel continued, “We’re expanding our policies to restrict ads for drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers because when facing addiction, people should be able to avoid scams and predatory behavior as they find support for themselves and loved ones in need.”
The process is similar to the one announced by Google for its product AdWords this April. LegitScript’s 15 requirements for certification were created with advice from organizations with knowledge of the industry, such as the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP).
Once treatment centers obtain their certification, they may apply to advertise as usual. Facebook will continue to monitor certified treatment centers to ensure that they maintain their certification.
To learn more about this new policy and other news in the addiction treatment industry, contact AZZLY® today. MAT is a safe and easy-to-control solution used to treat a number of different substance issues. Sixteen healthcare payers representing 248 million people endorse this revolutionary method. Visit AZZLY.com to learn more about how medication management in MAT can be tracked and managed.